Today was one of those days as a parent where I think, “how do I survive on so little sleep?” and “why does my 2 year old need to get up at 6am?” I get my 2 year old down for his nap and then my 3 month old thinks it’s time to play. If only they would sleep at the same time so I could do the same! With my lack of energy today I was thankful for some leftovers from dinner last night to keep me fueled for the day.
Tilapia Fish Tacos with Spicy Coleslaw
(adapted from Tyler Florence)
1 head green cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, grated
2 green onions, chopped
1 red chile, sliced
11/2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup Creole mustard
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 lemon OR lime, juiced
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
Several dashes hot sauce
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine the cabbage, carrot, green onions, and chile in a large bowl.
In another bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice (or lime), and sugar; stirring to incorporate. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss gently to mix. Season the coleslaw with celery seed, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Chill for 2 hours.
(From Home Cooking Memories)
Preheat Oven to 400 degrees F.
2 pounds tilapia fillets, fresh or frozen that have been thawed
1 lime or lime juice
Salt & Pepper
Seasoning (see below) or your favorite seasoning
Corn tortillas or flour tortillas. I personally love the pre-made tortillas at Costco that you cook up yourself. So fresh and tasty!
Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado, guacamole, lime wedges, cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of cayenne pepper or paprika
- To make seasoning: Mix together all seasonings and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place tilapia fish fillets on a greased baking sheet or a glass dish , and squeeze lime juice over them. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle lightly with seasoning. Bake for 15 minutes or until fish is done (flakes easily with a fork).
- While fish is baking, prepare toppings and heat tortillas.
- To assemble tacos: place desired amount of fish, broken up slightly, lengthwise in the middle of your tortilla. Depending on the size of your fillet, each one can usually make about 2 tacos. Top fish with spicy coleslaw and cheddar cheese, a squeeze of lime juice and a couple squirts of Tabasco sauce if you like spicy… or any other toppings you think sound good.