My family and I have restarted a Game Night Cook Off that we used to do when I was in high school. Each person brings a dish that must include the “special ingredient” of the night. The winner of each cook off gets to choose the following “special ingredient” which so happened to be lemon for the month of August. Each dish is judged by everyone in 5 categories: Taste, Texture, Aroma, Presentation and Use of Ingredient. The winner takes home the Cooking Champion Trophy until the next cook off. I just so happened to win this week so it gets to chill here at my place… hopefully forever if I can keep on winning!
This is my brother, he won the previous months’ competition with Chicken Alfredo Garlic Bread Pizza (it was amazing!). He actually made a delicious Lemon Coconut Cake but scored low in presentation or he possibly could have won the lemon round as well.
I will be sharing some awesome recipes but sadly some of pictures got deleted so you will just have to trust me until I remake these and get some visually appealing pictures up to win you over!
Lemon Chicken Pasta Alfredo
Part 1: Lemon Chicken Breasts
*If you are only cooking for 2-4 people then I would cut the lemon chicken part of the recipe in half. If you are cooking for more than that I would double the Alfredo Pasta part. The Lemon Chicken is excellent in quesadillas and Caesar salad so making a little extra will give you more yummy meal options!
1/4 cup good olive oil
3 tablespoons minced garlic (9 cloves)
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4-6 boneless chicken breasts
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Warm the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add the garlic, and cook for just 1 minute but don’t allow the garlic to turn brown. Off the heat, add the white wine, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, and 1 teaspoon salt and pour into a 9 by 12-inch baking dish.
Brush the chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle them liberally with salt and pepper. Cut the lemon in 8 wedges and tuck it among the pieces of chicken.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts, until the chicken is done. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Part 2: Lemon Pasta Alfredo
Adapted from Natasha’s Kitchen
- 1 lb fettuccine or penne pasta
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 garlic clove
- ⅓ cup white wine
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. lemon zest (depending on how lemony you like it)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rosemary for garnish, optional
- Cook ¾ lb noodles in salted water according to package instructions and drain. Don’t rinse (this helps the sauce stick to the noodles better)
- In large sauce pan, over medium/high heat, add 2 Tbsp butter and onion and sauté onion till golden. Stir in garlic and sauté another minute. Stir in ⅓ cup white wine and reduce to about 25%.
- Stir in Cream and simmer until it starts to thicken. Add ⅓ cup parmesan (or add to taste) and stir until creamy and smooth. Add paprika and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off heat and stir in drained, un-rinsed pasta, and lemon chicken. Garnish with rosemary, extra parmesan and freshly cracked pepper if desired.
The 2nd place dish, which followed very close to 1st, was Oven-Roasted Cauliflower.