This cake was made by my brother for our Game Night Cook Off. He very likely could have beat me if his presentation had turned out better (some cakes have a mind of their own). It’s soooo good though so I had to share!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Lemon Filling (recipe below)
- Fluffy White Frosting (recipe below)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Combine flour and baking powder; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in 1 tsp. vanilla.
- Beat egg whites and salt at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Stir about one-third of egg whites into batter; fold in remaining egg whites. Spoon batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan; stir in 1 cup boiling water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar and cornstarch dissolve (about 3 minutes). Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into yolks; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Stir in lemon juice.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter. Cool, stirring occasionally.
Fluffy White Frosting
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a small heavy saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until clear. Cook, without stirring, until mixture reaches soft-ball stage or candy thermometer registers 240°. This can potentially take up to 20 minutes. You are waiting for the water to evaporate until you hit the soft-ball stage (no pun intended).
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; slowly add syrup, beating constantly. Beat until stiff peaks form and frosting is desired consistency.
- Once cakes have cooled spread Lemon Filling between layers. Spread Fluffy White Frosting on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle top and sides with coconut; garnish, if desired.
- Savor every bite!