After a 4 day run of the stomach bug I was finally ready to get back to some cooking and baking… only to have my hubby get sick as well. To keep up with my cooking excitement and take care of my hubby I tried my hand at homemade noodles for chicken noodle soup. I have made soup before but I have never made the pasta. Boy was it delicious! I was so proud!
I usually don’t follow a recipe to make soup but this time I tried a new recipe to see if there were any differences with how I usually make mine. I use all the same ingredients but they added fresh garlic… definitely an addition I will keep for my future soup making!
Delicious Homemade Egg Noodles
2 cups flour
3 egg yolks
2 teaspoons salt
1/4-1/2 cup water
I made mine in a KitchenAid and used the dough hook.
1. Measure flour into bowl, make a well in the center and add the egg yolks, the whole egg and salt.
2. Mix egg and flour well and start to add 1 tbs. of water into the the bowl at a time, stirring thoroughly after each time. You want to make sure it does not get too sticky. Get it just wet enough to form a ball.
3. Once at the right consistency let knead for about 5 minutes on medium.
4. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
5. Divide dough into 4 parts. Take out one part and cover remaining dough.
6. Roll out paper thin on a floured surface (or use a pasta wheel). Wrap dough around rolling pin loosely, let slide off on to cutting board and cut dough into strips. I made some thinner ones and thicker ones to see which I liked better in my soup.
7. Shake out and spread them out onto a towel to dry. Takes about 3-5 hours. Some of my noodles weren’t completely dry but I still put them in my soup and had no issues.
8. While they are drying start making some soup.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
4 fresh thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
2 quarts chicken stock
8 ounces dried wide egg noodles
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Take a medium soup pot and set it on medium heat. Add oil along with the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme and bay leaf. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned. Pour in the chicken stock and bring the liquid to a boil. Add the noodles and simmer for 5 minutes until tender. Fold in the chicken, and continue to simmer for another couple of minutes to heat through; season with salt and pepper.
If you are like me and don’t have a whole chicken on hand you can make your own shredded chicken from a chicken breast. I thawed one chicken breast and threw it in a pot of water with chicken bouillon and let it lightly boil until it became shredded. I then used this bouillon broth as my stock. The recipe
has directions to use a whole chicken and prepare a yummy stock which I would like to try in the future to see if this makes my recipe even better! Because I did not use a whole chicken with a flavorful stock I chose to add my chicken before the noodles and let it simmer and give the chicken better flavor.
As a side note… if you have any extra noodles you can store them in an air tight container and use them up to a month later. Enjoy!